In summers, cooking food becomes extremely difficult with increasing heat and humidity. These quick rice varieties famous in South India comes to our rescue during such times.
Narayan is very fond of such rice varieties and especially the tangy ones like Lemon rice or Tamarind rice. Since summers are also the season of Mangoes, Raw Mango Rice comes to my rescue. A nice big bowl of this along with some curd, chips or papads and a pickle on the side makes life sorted.
An excellent quick fix option. Ideal for those busy mornings when cooking different things for the tiffin / lunch box is not possible.
Recipe for Manga Sadam aka Raw Mango Rice
(Serves 2 persons)
- Raw Mango (totapuri) – 1 nos. (Washed, dried & skin peeled)
- Rice – 1.5 cups (cooked)
- Chana Dal – 1 tblsp
- Groundnuts – 1 to 2 tblsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing or Asafoetida – small pinch
- Green chillies – 2 nos. finely chopped
- Dry Red chilly – 2 to 3 nos.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1.5 tblsp
- Curry leaves – one sprig
- Salt as per taste
- Grate the raw mangoes and keep aside.
- In a kadhai, add oil, once the oil is hot, Add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add the chana dal, groundnuts, dry red chilly and green chillies along with curry leaves.
- Stir the mixture well and then add the grated raw mango. Mix well, add salt and turmeric powder. Let the mangoes cook well. You may reduce the flame to low while cooking the mangoes so that it doesn’t get burnt or stick at the bottom.
- Add the boiled rice and stir well. Cover the kadhai and let it cook for around 5 mins on a low flame so that everything mixes well.
- Switch off the gas.
- Its up to you to serve it hot or at room temperature. Usually down south we serve all such rice dishes in room temperature along with some fried papad or vadam with some curd and pickle on the side.
- If you find for some reason your mangoes are way more tangy, just add 1/2 tsp of grated jaggery when cooking the mango mixture. The tanginess will automatically reduce.
- You can make this dish with leftover rice too. Just ensure you steam the rice in the cooker for 5-7 mins so that it doesn’t turn hard.
- In case you are short of time, just make the mango mixture (as explained till point No. 3) and store it in the fridge. The mixture stays good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- When you plan to make the rice, just take this mixture, add some rice, few spoons of sesame oil and stir well.
If you like my work, please show me some love by following me on:-
Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli